Earlier this year I got the bit between my teeth and decided to tackle them.
I cut carpet back to reveal the original concrete hearths, filling in the cracks with fire cement.
I borrowed a mitre block and made wooden 'fenders' to edge them (and only sawed my finger once, on the very last one!).
I cut a vermiculite firebrick to size and fitted it where there was once only a hole in the dining room one.
I ordered 2 replacement fire fronts, once for the dining room and one for the study, and last week had the chimney swept for the dining room fireplace. Lots of debris and one dead pigeon were removed before finally the brush could come out.
And this is what the once sad fireplaces look like now - in my bedroom just the hearth was needed.
The study got a new fire front and hearth. I am really pleased with this one as it looks so pretty now.
And the dining room got a new fire front, hearth and back.
All the rooms look complete now and the fireplaces are loved again. I will really enjoy being able to light the dining room one in the winter - although on such a hot day as this it's hard to imagine needing to!