Friday, May 28, 2010

A Taste of Summer

When I moved here I inherited a vine.  It was very unloved and straggly and didn't produce any grapes.  Over the last 2 and 1/2 years I have nursed it back to health -  I learned how to prune it properly and have trained it over a pergola behind the greenhouse.  This year it is covered in baby bunches of grapes, there are over 100!
A baby bunch of grapes.

Next to the vine are these newly planted strawberries -

If only I could make champagne from the grapes then I could have bubbly and strawberries in the garden!
(How to keep the birds off will be my next project!)

2 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

You can always just enjoy the grapes fresh or make them into jam - we had a vine and this is what I did with mine the wine having proved unsuccessful! Strawberries warm from the plant - mmm!

Jane

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Oh lucky you to have a vine! Your little cluster of baby grapes looks promising... I can't wait to see my first strawberries of the season!

Jeanne
x