Friday, December 10, 2010

Not Quite A Hat ..................

My granny taught me to crochet when I was about 9 and every so often I get an urge to crochet something. Usually what happens is that I buy the wool, start off ok, then it all goes wrong and I lose the desire so the wool gets put away and that's the end of that project!  Last weekend I decided to crochet myself a hat and found a pattern on the internet. I tried for ages to make a hat that fitted my head, but my lack of forward planning let me down, as the wool that I'd bought was a different thickness to the one in the pattern and the crochet hooks I had were different sizes too.  After many hours of crocheting and unravelling I gave up.  But then I had another idea - I'd make myself some arm warmers  as I get cold hands when I'm working on the computer but can't work in fingerless gloves.   This time I didn't have a pattern but just worked the size out as I went along.  They're not perfect (I'm not even quite sure they're the same size as each other!), but they are unique.  Initially I could only wear them when I was sitting down as they fell off when I walked, but thanks to some shearing elastic I can now walk in them too!


I don't think they'll start a new fashion trend, and I won't be making anymore, but they're bright and cheerful and will keep my arms and hands warm when I'm working.  (I couldn't photograph them both, logistics of a camera and not enough hands, but there is a pair really!).

5 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I really love this post. How great to know that other people start of projects with the wrong size of needle or the wrong kind of wool! And your armwarmers look fab. Definitely a trendstarter.

Fran Hillman said...

Good idea and they do look cosy. You'll have to make matching leg warmers too.

Unknown said...

I think they are just the thing for the freezing weather we have been having recently, I would wear them over thin gloves on really cold days.

Delighted to have discovered your lovely blog - we grow and love a lot of the same plants it seems and I have greenhouse envy, must get one but they are so expensive!

Jo said...

I'm sure they'll keep your hands and arms nice and warm in this cold weather. I remember my grandma teaching me to crochet when I was a child but I can't remember anything of it now, I'm much better with knitting.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

A really clever turnaround Su. They look great.

Snow? What snow? We have been snowless for over a week now so it must be fairly localised as you are not that far away. I do know they had lots in Ipswich yesterday. We have had severe ground frost every day and its bitterly cold. Have a feeling the snow may be back in our area for Christmas Day however....

Jeanne
x