Tuesday, October 25, 2011

She Sells Three Shells

A few days ago I finally finished (I think) another small textile piece that I started after I'd been to the Knitting and Stitching Show. 
Three Shells - 10cm x 20cm
It's embellished sari silk, with silk fibres, banana yarn and scrim.  I've sort of stitched the shells on, which are years and years old (there's a good reason for not throwing stuff out!) and then added a few french knots.  I'm having problems stopping the shells from falling off, but if I don't touch it they're fine!  Anyone know a good way to secure them?

If you're interested in textiles and live near Bury St Edmunds, the 'Out of the Fold' exhibition is well worth a visit.  Fran and I went yesterday and were really impressed, it's on until the 29th Oct. And if you want a cuppa afterwards then head to 'Harriets' - lovely tea, and the cakes looked good too, although we both managed to resist (this time!)

11 comments:

jan said...

Lovely delicate colours

Fran Hillman said...

Nice!x

Jo said...

It's gorgeous, I love the colours.

Anonymous said...

I like that! I wonder if you take two horizontal threads across the shells, it would still look good, one under and one over the central 'bulge'?

Helen Smith said...

It's lovely - love the soft colours! What I do when I have uncooperative shells/sea glass is run a thread round under the shell but on top of the fabric to sort of hold the stitches together and stop them slipping - does that make sense? With these I'd probably just put a loop around the 3 threads at the top of each shell which hopefully will stop the outside stitches slipping off. Hope that helps!

Linda Vincent said...

Isn't it great to come home from an exhibition full of ideas and inspiration!
I'd try a bit of 'Trim It' glue for the shells (as well as the stitches which look nice)Its meant for sticking rhinestones etc to fabric so it might just work.

silverpebble said...

Beautiful! So delicate, and anything with shells is a winner.

Iz said...

Beautiful, it looks just like seaweed - and I mean that in a nice way!

Emma said...

so vocative of the sea, just lovely. Tiny drilled holes & stitched - a Dremmel tool is always on my Christmas list!

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I popped into Cavern last week Su! Can't remember what day it was tho' ... Yes, interesting exhibition and Harriet's is always a great place for tea!

Really lovely piece.

Jeanne
x

Anna said...

Another exquisite piece of work Su - taking my hat off to you. Want to reach out and stroke.