Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sights and Scents of Summer

What glorious weather we're having this weekend -  the garden is looking especially beautiful in the sunshine.  I love walking down it at this time of year, getting wafts of scent from all of the different roses (many complete with clematis for company).

This one, Generous Gardener, is by my first seating area and its scent is fabulous


and although Charles De Mills has less scent its colour more than makes up for it.


Here are some of the other roses and clematis currently flowering their socks off.


Top Row: Rose Abraham Darby and Clematis Etoile Violette, Rose Lady Emma Hamilton, Rose William Shakespeare
Middle Row: Clematis Star of India, Rose Christopher Marlow, Clematis Betty Corning
Bottom Row: Rose Fighting Temeraire, Clematis Blue Angel, Rose Heritage.

There are other scents too apart from the roses, the honeysuckles are just opening and are being enjoyed by the bees as well as me.


The bees are also loving the Deutzia.


I hope you're all enjoying the weather, and the tennis - we're currently in the 3rd set (I'm multi tasking, blogging on the computer whilst watching the final on the iPad).



8 comments:

Anna said...

Mmmm - can smell them from here Su. Off to investigate 'Generous Gardener' - she looks worthy of the name.

Mystic Quilter said...

Even though you are in Suffok and I am here in NZ we seem to share similar taste in roses and I do love to see the clematis with them, especially the purple one with Abraham Darby - a glorious rose.

Anonymous said...

I can't bear tennis but your flowers are superb. Only two of my Roses are perfumed but this year, my perfumed Irises have bloomed until two days ago, from a very late start and there were so many of them!

It seems that the weather is set to be similar for a day or two - enjoy it!

Plain Jane said...

Oh those blooms are beautiful - all the better that they have arrived after such a long wait! Jane x

Julie said...

Beautiful flowers.. I can just imagine the scent.. gorgeous!

I was glued to the tennis yesterday.. the boy did well :o)
Julie x

Jo said...

I love the colour of Generous Gardener, and to be scented too, it has it all. Definitely a good choice for planting near to the seating area.

CATHY DANIEL said...

We have a gorgeous rose to one side of the patio called Alchemist. Its flowers start out pink buds and end up yellow full-blown roses. I do love roses. We had to cut our honeysuckle out cos it just rampaged all over the place! xCathy

Annie Cholewa said...

Beautiful garden and beautiful roses. It always saddens me that we have none in the garden here.