Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Weekend of Coracles and Vintage.

Have you ever seen a coracle?  I hadn't but on Saturday my parents came for lunch (they live in North Norfolk) and I wanted to find something for us to do in the afternoon.  Having dismissed the Sudbury Regatta (too far for my 80 year old Dad to walk to) I found out that there was a Coracle Regatta in the next village with close parking.  So off we set.



A coracle is a small, round boat found across both the UK and the world (click here for more information).  There were lots of different ones, all made from different materials, wood, willow, hide and plastic.

The professionals made steering and manoevering them look very easy, and when it came to racing them their competitive streaks came out big time!


They also showed us how they could harness the wind power by using a brolly as a sail!


It was a really enjoyable afternoon, the start of a lovely weekend, which concluded today with me heading over to Snape with a friend as there was a vintage market on.


Snape is a lovely place to visit on any day and the market just added a nice little extra something.  I love nothing better than a good rummage through second hand bric-a-brac and came home with this little lot for the grand total of £9.00 - a bargain I thought.


I also a  large enamel bowl that I plan to plant salad in on the patio.


I came home and picked MORE beans - I've never had so many beans before, I'm picking this amount most days!

I've been planting by the moon this year and I'm sure it's had a huge impact.  More about that another time though.



8 comments:

Gill said...

I'd love to have seen the coracles! I've always been fascinated by them since watching an episode of 'Rosie and Jim' when my children were small!!!!

Miriam Weaver said...

Looks like a really fun day, I like the idea of the umbrella sail, with our unpredictable weather I bet it comes in handy for those summer showers! Snape is a favourite place to visit, love the bits and pieces you bought such a bargin!

Nata per sognare said...

Wonderfull experience.
Angela

Gina said...

What fun. I'd never even heard of a coracle before.

Jo said...

I've never heard of a coracle but that looks like so much fun. You picked up some great bargains, the enamel bowl is just the thing for planting salad in. My beans haven't started producing yet, in fact, they don't look as good as in previous years so I'm just hoping that they'll provide a worthwhile harvest. Planting by the moon fascinates me but I couldn't follow it myself, I'd just never get anything done if there were restrictions. I have to do everything as time permits but I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day out, I should have loved it with all those coracles.

You picked up some pretty bargains too. I must go back to Snape, I had a good time there when I last went.

CATHY DANIEL said...

Ha! That looks like fun! All a bit English and eccentric and wonderful. I remember coracles from my primary school British history days. Snape is always good for a visit - you did well there! xCathy

Annie Cholewa said...

The coracles are fascinating, and umbrella sails, who'd have thought it!