Monday, October 6, 2014

Shirt Tales

Back in April, after I'd visited the Textiles in Art Exhibition at the Fashion Museum I strolled along to John Lewis and bought some fabric.


The fabric on the left I made into a reversible skirt but the pieces on the right remained in the fabric pile until August when I cut out and started to sew a shirt.  I was making good progress with it and then I tore the tendon in my elbow.  Since then sewing has been a painfully slow (in the literal meaning of both words!) affair but I have eventually finished it.


Although I had 2 different prints I didn't want it to look like I'd used them just because I'd bought them so I've used the contrast print very sparingly.  It's on the inside of the cuffs,


and on the arm opening band.  It's also on the inside of the yoke (which no-one will ever see!) and on the collar band and the inside of the button band.



I also covered all the buttons in the contrast fabric.


I have to admit that the double lines of top stitching brought out the worst of my perfectionist nature and many 2nd lines were ripped out and re-stitched as they'd strayed off course by a millimetre or so!

But despite that, and my arm injury, I have now finished it - ta daa!


(You'll have to excuse the poor ironing of the finished shirt, that's something I'm still struggling with as I can't actually lift the iron in my right hand yet).

I'm hoping to go back to the Fashion Museum at the end of October to see the Knitwear Chanel to Westwood exhibition - have any of you been yet?

8 comments:

Gina said...

I love your shirt Su. I've not seen the new exhibition yet but am planning to go with a friend next month.

Jo said...

Very nice. I like how you've just added bits of the second fabric, it's a lovely contrast.

lp_ lisa said...

Can't believe you have achieved such beautiful stitches whilst your elbow is giving you so much grief! Loved your choice of fabrics, the skirt was fab and the shirt is lovely too. Oooh you are clever :-) x

Frances said...

Su, you've created a fabulous shirt with those fabrics...the combinations are so subtle and work wonderfully together!

How I wish I could see that Knitwear exhibit...I must find out how long it will be running.

xo

CATHY DANIEL said...

I am in awe of anyone who can make a shirt! My aunty used to and I was all admiration. It looks stunning! I expect your injury will keep you from the ironing for a long time yet? xCathy

Anonymous said...

Perfectly executed despite the pain. Well done you!

Emma said...

Ooh, I sympathize with the elbow thing! I've enjoyed catching up here & before your injury you've been making some beautiful things - in your home & to wear! As for your garden, it's just the way I'd like mine to be ;)

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Those fabrics are made for each other Su. Great work.

I've missed several posts lately. What happened to your arm may I ask? Glad its getting better though!

Jeanne
x